Dear Concrete families,
As the final month of the 2019-20 school year approaches, we want to take a moment to thank all of you for the tremendous efforts you are making to help your children stay engaged in learning from home. Our staff, teachers, and administrators truly appreciate partnering with you. We know that this is a stressful time for students and families, and we are committed to helping all of our students finish the school year strong. With approximately four weeks of school remaining, together we want to continue to do all we can to help keep students engaged in learning until the last day of school.
In terms of planning for the fall, we want nothing more than to be able to resume normal school operations. However, we do not yet have any concrete information to share about what the fall might look like in our district. The state Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) has convened a “Reopening Schools Work Group” to discuss potential models for reopening. This workgroup includes 123 people from across the state, including teachers, administrators, education support professionals, elected officials, community-based organization representatives, and education partners. This group is looking at health data and different potential options for how to safely reopen schools. They are scheduled to complete their work between June 8-12. Once we receive the report, we will be able to move forward with developing a concrete plan for our district.
We know that the school closure and the current model of Continuous Distance Learning is not a sustainable, viable model for students and families. We know this situation is a hardship for families. We miss our students, and we are eager to be able to develop and communicate our plan for the fall. This pandemic has brought many unexpected challenges to districts across the United States and we have witnessed significant hardships on families and our community. Many decisions are made well above the school district level and we continue to seek guidance from our decision makers at the state level.
Please know that as soon as we are able to make decisions for the opening of school in the fall we will communicate them to you. We are currently planning for a wide variety of fall possibilities while hoping for a full opening of school. Please monitor the district Facebook page and website for updates through the summer months.
Concrete School District