WEIGHT ROOM SAFETY RULES
This school strives to protect each student from possible injury while engaging in school activities.
The rules and information identified below have been established for this activity in order to protect the student and others from injury and/or illness. Participants and their parents should recognize that conditioning, nutrition, proper techniques, safety procedures, and well-fitting equipment are important aspects of this training program. Each participant is expected to follow the directions/standards of the coach and must understand that failure to follow such directions or adhere to standards may place the participant at risk.
Guidelines are as follows:
1. Make certain that you wear all equipment that is issued by the coach. Advise the coach of any poorly-fitted or defective equipment.
2. Notify the coach in advance of all maximum lift attempts.
3. Use a partner/spotter at all times. Stop and report absent lifting partner immediately.
4. Use only equipment you have been instructed to operate.
5. Wear proper footwear in the weight room at all times.
6. Clean up perspiration on benches with disinfectant.
7. Always use collars on bars, with no exceptions.
8. Weight training needs to be focused and serious. Horseplay will not be tolerated. Ensure that you are lifting within your known limits.
9. Advise the coach if you are ill or have any prolonged symptoms of illness.
10. Advise the coach if you have been injured.
11. Engage in warm-up activities prior to strenuous participation.
12. Be alert for any physical hazards or hazards in the locker room or in or around the participation area. Advise coach of any hazard or concern.
13. Abide by all safety rules and school rules related to use of the Gymnasium
14. The District has the right to revoke permission for this activity at any time, especially for violations of safety rules and school rules.
15. The student has no permission or authority to allow any other individual the use of the equipment.
16. Immediately stop using the equipment if any defect in the equipment is found, take the equipment out of commission, and immediately file a written report of the defect to the District.
The above information has been explained to me and I understand the list of rules and procedures. I also understand the necessity of using the proper techniques while participating in the weight training program.
I am aware that weight training is a HIGH-RISK SPORT and that practicing or competing in weight training will be a dangerous and unpredictable activity involving MANY RISKS OF INJURY. I understand that the dangers and risks of practicing and competing in weight training include, but are not limited to, death, serious neck and spinal injuries which may result in complete or partial paralysis, brain damage, blindness, serious injury to virtually all internal organs, serious injury to virtually all bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, tendons and other aspects of the muscular skeletal system, and serious injury or impairment to other aspects of my body, general health and well-being. I understand that the dangers and risks of practicing or competing in weight training may result not only in serious injury, but in a serious impairment of my future abilities to earn a living, to engage in other business, social and recreational activities and generally to enjoy life.
Because of the dangers of weight training, I recognize the importance of following coaches' instructions regarding techniques, training and other team rules, etc., and to agree to obey such instructions.
I have read the above warning and release and understand its terms. I understand that weight training is a HIGH-RISK SPORT involving many RISKS OF INJURY, including but not limited to those risks outlined above.
In consideration of the Concrete School District permitting my child/ward to participate in weight training activities including practicing or competing, I hereby assume all the risks normally associated with weight training and agree to hold the school district, its employees, agents, representatives, coaches and volunteers harmless from any and all liability, actions, causes of action, debts, claims or demands of every kind and nature whatsoever which may arise from such risks. The terms hereof shall serve as a release for my heirs, estate, executor, administrator, assignees, and for all members of my family. I further agree that neither the district nor any of their staff or student organizations shall be responsible for the payment of any bills rendered for medical services as a result of such accidents or injuries. We also acknowledge that it is our responsibility to provide for any medical, disability or other insurance to mitigate any costs that may be unfortunately incurred as a result of participation in this activity.
By signing below, I certify that I have read the above, understand its content, and agree to its terms.
Athlete's Signature Date
Parent's/Guardian's Signature Date